There once was a dream of larp

Artenen

Artenen Aeolus House of the Iron Ring
Staff member
Feb 19, 2020
Kiel, WI
LarpCraft was once a place to get involved with multiple game systems. It was a nice dream.
4-system-gateway.jpg

Ronan

Trusted Account
Jun 12, 2020
De Pere WI
Then let us resurrect these dreams. Let us remake, repair, and rebuild them. I believe we can learn from our past, correct our mistakes, redevelop and streamline our former ideas. let us at least try.

Ronan

Trusted Account
Jun 12, 2020
De Pere WI
When shall we begin? For I have many ideas to share. I assume we waiting for this infernal plague to come to an end?

Artenen

Staff member
Feb 19, 2020
Kiel, WI
I know of no plague, only agendas, and schemes. I would like to keep the game systems as simple as possible and concentrate more on the roleplay, not abilities... be it Kingdoms, Risen, Western, I think it would work for just about everything. Building the game system shouldn't be that hard based on what we know. Building the stories and lore is always the time-consuming part. I'm still pretty good at flushing out maps and worlds, if you still write like the wind, then this stuff can be your oyster.

I run a very successful site on rl4wd.com now on top of work and Jess and I bought an embroidery machine just before covid so we can make our own clothing and hats for things like this and that. Time is the enemy here, but I can set up everything needed to jump into games again. We could build stuff at Sinawa as needed and now there are walking trails to use on top of the 4x4 trails and we've dumped thousands of bucks into pouring rocks into the mud trails to make them usable even when Sinawa does it's thing and rains like... every event.

Ronan

Trusted Account
Jun 12, 2020
De Pere WI
I also do not believe in most of the nonsensical dribble of the runners to my kingdom telling of this plague. I understand the time constraints as well, for I am bound by them as well. But as they say where there is a will there is a way. As I said I have several ideas, for stories and lore as well as for game mechanics. They are to simplify things, and I believe will help with any system.

As for the building things at Sinawa, this is very good news, for i have a few things to run past you on that front as well. I need to see the place again it has been many a long year since I have been there. To long have I been idle in my Northern kingdom, I long for the days of adventure again.

I will begin work and set my scribe to taking my words for lore (I will keep it simple and not too fantasy like). Before I do I must ask;

1. How many races do you want? (My suggestion is 3 but no more then 4)
2. Classes? (If you don't want to do specific classes, then just a few general ones could do)
3. If so how many? (Again my suggestion is no more then 4)
4. Magic is to be held to an absolute minimum correct?
5. If so can I work that into the lore?

If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, we were getting tired of beating on the undead and such.

Last edited:

Artenen

Staff member
Feb 19, 2020
Kiel, WI
I've started the rulebook down below in the Kingdoms area. Feel free to comment under what was created and we can simply post back and forth on ideas and all that. Want to take a stab at writing a chapter, go nuts lol. You know what you're doing.

Races - Ya, the basics... Human, Elf, Undead? Beast is cool and all but in the dead of summer heat and crazy costume requirements, I'd rather pass on it, I'll never forget when bucky gave himself heat stroke that one time, if Lima wasn't there, that could have ended badly. The dwarf was cool too but nobody was actually small enough to play one and then it was just a "class" of human which we can still do... but cave humans etc. easily still writeable into the lore.

Classes - I'd like to take a closer look at historical classes on this run and use less fantasy. I believe that we could all learn a great deal of historical class if we used the real ones from history. Being classes wouldn't have abilities, there's no point in running fantasy on that part?

Magic - I'd like to take a closer look at pagan magic stuff and what people really believed was possible. Or just the primary elemental stuff but ya, I'd like to keep spells and orbs and junk down to maybe one spell per element or something and to have the spells not negate armor or take anything away from someone's physical ability. Magic got out of hand in myths and became way too complex to memorize. If we had like 4 or 5 spells, that would be awesome.

Lore - I have a name Jarel for the planet. Rachel Skymoon and I are roleplaying some bs to start working out lore and names of things to get started. She's come up with some neat potion ideas that seem to be working out in a storyline.

I'd like to use Heraldry as a heavy lore element. I loved that Scott and Kim really took that to the next level because of SCA. I'd like to make this game easy for SCA people to get into and I've heard the SCA isn't doing so well and there's a lot of drama so giving them folks a way to use their stories and lore and all that would be very helpful I think. Again, Sinawa has SCA folks and they are very nice people to work with and roleplay with. I hope somehow that can be a thing that develops in the future.

As for the undead, yes... we beat that to death (haha). If we dropped it to living races, that'd be awesome in my book. Maybe make a house of the undying and do some funky diety lore type stuff with that to hint undead but not actually undead and zombies stuff.

Ronan

Trusted Account
Jun 12, 2020
De Pere WI
Here is a sample of some of the ruling kingdoms I am working on. There will be 4 in all, 2 human 1 Elf 1 Orc in all. These are the Human Kingdoms. This somewhat goes to lore, which I am also working on.

Aldoria:
Aldoria has traditionally been the most powerful of the kingdoms to occupy Jarel. Located on the northwestern half of Jarels largest content, it boasts of its unmatched food production, mineral, and metal mining capabilities. From their ancestral home and capital of New Kingston, the lords of Aldoria have ruled since its founding by Lucien Hayes in the year 1002 of the first age. While ruling as constitutional monarchs, the Hayes’s have always positioned themselves and Aldoria as champions of liberty, democracy and personal freedoms among the other kingdoms on the world of Jarel. This view has bred a sense of righteousness in the Hayes cause, serving as both a source of strength and weakness during their history.

For a time, Aldoria joined together with the kingdom of Capellia to create a new super-state, Haldoria, which dominated most of Jarel during the later half of the 1st age. However, internal divisions and other factors eventually lead to the Capellia half seceding to form Haldoria thus starting the Hadlorian Civil War. While maintaining the Haldoria name for several years afterwards, the state eventually returned to its traditional name as Aldoria.

• Founding Year: 1A 1002
  • Capital: New Kingston
  • National Symbol: ***(WHATEVER WE WANT IT TO BE)***
  • Location (relative): North and West
  • Races: Human 99% Elf 1%
  • Estimated Population (as of current date): 600,000
  • Government: Constitutional, but governed by Aristocracy
  • Ruler: Prince Vincent Goldmane-Hayes (Human)
  • Dominant Religion(s): Exalted Church of the Light, The True Keepers of the Burning Soul, Temple of Devora
  • Unit of Currency: Gold

Capellia:
Capellia is one of the major kingdoms of Jarel, located in the southwestern half of Jarel’s largest content, it is traditionally regarded as the wealthiest. For the majority of its history, the Capellian capital of Triad was located at the convergence of three great rivers near the ice sheets on the southern continent. While the kingdom was the realm of House Goldmane, it is currently ruled by the Goldmane-Hayes family branch.

Capellia allied with the Aldoria in 1A 1713 and was perceived as a single entity since the wedding of Lillian Goldmane to Harold Hayes, in 1A 1780 though technically the two realms remained separate, they were viewed as a single kingdom. In 1A 1987, 2 months after Vincent Goldmane-Hayes inherited rule over both parts of the Haldoria, Victor's sister Kasandra Goldmane-Hayes seceded the Capellian half of Haldonia. Kasandra renamed her state as the Capellian Coalition precipitating the Haldorian Civil War. The Capellian Coalition would revert to its former name of Capellia on 1A 1998 after successfully winning independence.

Capellia is renowned for its strong economy, powerful nobility, and its military policy of promotion based on pedigree as well as talent. Unfortunately for the kingdom, the promotion of so-called "Social Generals" has resulted in a military of varied capabilities. Even though incompetent "social generals" are not the rule, the prevalence of many poor officers has hindered the kingdom throughout its history.

• Founding Year: 1A 1359 (Refounded 1A 1998)
  • Capital: Triad
  • National Symbol: ***(WHATEVER WE WANT IT TO BE)***
  • Location (relative): South and West
  • Races: Human 90% Elf 10%
  • Estimated Population (as of current date): 450,000
  • Government: Monarchy with lesser noble families
  • Ruler: Queen Kasandra Goldmane-Hayes (Human)
  • Dominant Religion(s): Exalted Church of the Light, The True Keepers of the Burning Soul, Temple of Devora
  • Unit of Currency: Gold

Last edited:

Ronan

Trusted Account
Jun 12, 2020
De Pere WI
An idea so we do not have SOOOOO much coinage.

Economy:
Gold is the only currency. Admins can substitute jewels for gold but when your currency is calculated at the end of the event, any jewels will be converted into a gold value. Gold is divided into two denominations, one count coins and ten count coins. Each has its own style and marking to distinguish them from one another.

Ronan

Trusted Account
Jun 12, 2020
De Pere WI
Races? I only went with 3 because its easier, and we don't have to make so many or any special abilities and so on.

Races:
Please take notice of each race's costume and makeup requirements.

Advisement on character creation
● All approved races you may choose from are in this section. Any other race will not be allowed.
● Be mindful of which race you would like to be, as a prosthetic and makeup may need to be worn.
● Any race can be any class, however you may only have one class per character.
● Characters are encouraged to write a biography story, however it MUST fit within the established lore.

A Note About Half-Races:
As a player you may want to play a Half-race character, such as Half-Elf, Half-Orc, and so on, as long as the mix is 50% Human and 50% another race. Regardless of what the other 50% of your race may be, if you decide to create a Half-race you will only be able to use the HUMAN racial abilities. Your backstory will also need to explain how you came to be.

Elves:
As a race, all Elves have prominently pointed ears. They also maintain highly selective alliances with other races. They are generally expert archers however, Elves are the most magically-inclined race, surpassing even the strongest humans in magical aptitude and as such all elves receive a +1 to they're magic pool.

Elf Costume Requirements: Elf Ear tips or headgear covering ears.

Humans:
Humans are by far the most abundant race, and are a diverse and interesting lot. They range from explorers looking for knowledge and adventure in new lands, to soldiers, mercenaries, scoundrels, and criminals either running from the law or enforcing it. Humans adapt and learn quickly, flourishing in any class they choose.

Humans receive no bonuses due to not having costume requirements.

Orc:
Orcs are mighty, strong, and proud. All Orcs receive a +1 to their torso hit points (torso only). While Orcs are natural warriors some do tend to have magical aptitude.

Costume Requirements: Green, black or red skin makeup and tones, tusks or fangs that look tusk like are not required but can help. Your costume should have at least some animal skins, furs, etc.

Ronan

Trusted Account
Jun 12, 2020
De Pere WI
So people can use at least one weapon they brought with them.

Favored Weapon:
usually you must learn to use most weapons. However, a brand new character is allowed to choose ONE weapon type for free. This is done so you can use the weapon you brought with you to your first game. In order to use any other weapons you must must learn said weapon skill, and by being trained to use it by a weapons trainer.

Artenen

Staff member
Feb 19, 2020
Kiel, WI
An idea so we do not have SOOOOO much coinage.

Economy:
Gold is the only currency. Admins can substitute jewels for gold but when your currency is calculated at the end of the event, any jewels will be converted into a gold value. Gold is divided into two denominations, one count coins and ten count coins. Each has its own style and marking to distinguish them from one another.
We still have the coin molds and old game coin so that's not so much an issue. I'd like to have it where people can keep their game coin if that's possible since that's what takes so long in registration... but then people have some up-front investment in props needed too and perhaps we have some kinda "safe" so those outside of a Kingdom don't lose all their coin if they get raided... course they could leave their game coin in their car and just leave it out of game that way too. Less for us to do.