1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible 2016 Or 2017 Haunted Camp Fundraiser

Discussion in 'LarpCraft of Sheboygan, WI USA' started by Artenen Aeolus, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

I've been adding event images and videos to the new media section and came across the 2012 Haunted Trolley event we did. https://larpcraft.com/media/albums/10-19-12-haunted-trolley.25/ You can see it at that link. I shared it on facebook and said we could potentially do this again but instead of a Trolley, we could make it a Haunted camp at Esker. The idea was praised and I had already been talking about this with the camp board (who had no objections).

So if we wanted to do this, we'd need larpers to be monsters, decorate the cabins (which could be as little as adding a blacklight and a fog machine or decking out a cabin with a theme, music, monsters etc. etc.) and help with food / drink / parking depending on who signs up. We can also put out a casting call to the local haunters (I used to run with that crowd and donate time at the local haunted house) along with just asking if anyone else wants to help out. IF we can get the bodies to run this, it would still be possible to do a limited beta test for 2016 so we can figure out the final mechanics for a 2017 show. It would likely be on the open camp weekend of Oct 22nd or 29th (one of those is open I recall) and would run Friday and Saturday night with cleanup on Sunday. Those helping would be allowed to stay for free that weekend either in those cabins or in tents.

The objective would be to raise funds for our larp insurance policy for all WI groups so we don't have to fork out much or if any like the hosts do now each year. Beyond that, we could split the remaining funds between the groups that help out for NPC, loaner and prop stuff. Sheboygan and Stevens Point / Wis Rapids were talking about running as a club over individual hosts if that materializes, then, as an example, we'd put the funds in that checking account. It can work however, we just need to get the people to run the event.

I know I can get sponsors for this and we're checking the dates to be sure we have everything straight.

If that all clears, I'd like to host a meeting at the camp to go over the specifics, after that meeting we'll know if this is possible for 2016 or if we'll just plan for 2017. The few of us who have already talked about this mentioned trying a limited run for 2016 as a beta (like I said) using pre-registration on the camp website (which I'm building right now) and just limit this to maybe Saturday afternoon / night and olny allow 200-500 people in over that time period.

Back in 2012, the haunted trolley went fantastic. We packed all 4 sessions full of people but we didn't have the larpers to run more than 2 scenes (when 4 were originally scheduled). It is really easy for me to oversell and overbook an event like this so I want to see if people would be willing to help first.

2. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

The initial thought was to use only the east side of the camp, not the west side trails or camps because it's far harder to get lost. I could see this, however turning into an event where all the camps, all the trails and all the cabins turn into a mega themed haunted experience.

If we had Larpers from Sheboygan, Wis Rapids, Stevens Point, Milwaukee and Cambridge we may get 30-40 people to help out. That may be enough to do this on top of the general public volunteer request.

I envision this thing turning into a major fundraiser for our group and the camp year after year! Once the medieval village is finished being built on the west side, it would be an entire medieval themed haunted attraction on that side.

3. Artenen Aeolus

I've confirmed AAA / Adventure Insurance will help sponsor this event if it is done.

4. Birna Fathmbjornsdottir

Birna Fathmbjornsdottir Barbarian LarpCraft Sheboygan Elder Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

I wonder if it is too quick to try and plan out for this year as folks are likely to already have plans for when this would happen. Midland has an event in October and I don't recall off the top of my head how close it is to Halloween. This sounds like an awesome idea, I just think we need more lead time (yeah, I know we have almost two months, but at the very least my work schedule is interesting for those two months.

5. Giovani Guida

Giovani Guida Human Cleric Myths & Legends

I can help with set up and food.....

6. Artenen Aeolus

Ya, it feels too late for anything this year... I'd have to pull together a lot of non larpers which means we wouldn't raise any funds for this group...

Guess I'll just stick to building the medieval village the rest of this year... that's way more than enough work anyway.

7. Birna Fathmbjornsdottir

Birna Fathmbjornsdottir Barbarian LarpCraft Sheboygan Elder Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

This will give us a solid year to plan something. I'm just afraid that I wouldn't be able to commit to a lot of the anything for it at this point this year.

8. Artenen Aeolus

We'll just wait till next year no worries.

9. Giovani Guida

Giovani Guida Human Cleric Myths & Legends

I am also working on getting a ServSafe as soon as I can

10. Artenen Aeolus

I can lock in a date. We'd have full access of the full kitchen for an event like this. I help with Fall Family Day and it has a ton of things going on including larp and sca stuff Fall Family Day once I have the camp website done, pre-registration will be possible for xmas at sinanwa.

I already know the date for for 2017. It'll be posted once I toss the down payment to lock the date.

Edit: Point is, what are wanting to do for this event... I envision this being like a haunted house but it's an entire camp. You pay as you enter the parking lot and that's where the fun begins (assuming we have the volunteers).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

Village Crier