1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Back To Formalizing Myths & Legends Tabletop

Discussion in 'Myths & Legends Tabletop Game' started by Artenen Aeolus, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

At at few points in our history, we've danced around with tabletop for Myths & Legends. Since then, we've gained the ability to 3D print, manufacture metal, plastic and foam and have ways to make game cards, large game pieces, maps and more.

These exciting tools give us the ability to take our Larp games into tabletop format with neat functions we currently haven't' seen before.

Right now, I'm leaning towards dice that you'll role for weapon attack, magic attack, shield block, dodge and even race dice perhaps.

Game maps will be places on Haloria in high detail that we can print on the banner printer along with a larger map of the entire island. I'd like to see 3d printed buildings eventually as well.

NPC's will work in 2 ways.

1. The NPC will have a character card with stats, the roleplay for such characters will depend on the game host and how they want to set those up. We'll also offer free printable game cards so hosts can make up their own characters and then a private community so game hosts can trade and share NPC cards within Haloria.

2. Once we get lore characters created in the the larp version, we'll 3d print a tabletop version and their lore will be tracked via the system as hosts trade them around the world.

Objectives
    We'll make some worldly game objectives and cards from time to time along with templates that hosts can make and share. The object of the tabletop version is to supplement the larp game and as such all the mechanics need to work the same. Winning the day will be based on the player and host gameplay objectives and then everyone can write their experiences in the Haloria in game area of the site.

2. Lucinda O'Fera Quercus

Lucinda O'Fera Quercus witchdoctor Myths & Legends

This is a great idea!

Artenen Aeolus Giveth praise for this remark!
  3. Maliostro Cavaldi

Maliostro Cavaldi Human Bard -{LarpCraft of Superior Host}- LarpCraft Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder

Have you considered looking into the system for Dungeon World, using the Apocalypse World system? It's a very story oriented narrativist system with minimal dice mechanics. I'm not saying use that system straight up, but it has some very interesting ideas. Plus it's an open gaming license product, so there's that.

4. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

Nothing is off the table at this point ;) Just this last week we figured out how to laser engrave wooden tiles to make random plots for adventure similar to that of those in many tabletop games.

5. Rachel Skymoon

Rachel Skymoon Elemental Warrior Cleric Order of the Ranger Past Contributor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger

This sounds awesome

6. Drake Grim

Drake Grim Warrior Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Epic Profile

hmm im not one to like change but it would be nice to play but let this not be a canon game just a game to have fun (raised eyebrows)

7. Artenen Aeolus

Well as we think about this more some of the functions of the site would directly conflict between the tabletop and larp parts of the site. As I suggested in the Haloria part of the forums, I foresee major possible conflicts as LarpCraft begins to grow if one character can play both the forum and tabletop system as well as the actual larp system.

I think a better approach is to keep the tabletop and forum roleplay world connected using the same game system as larp (myths, apoc, etc.) but keep those worlds outside of the primary larp worlds like Myrium.

Yes, we're a larp site, not a forum rpg BUT larpers can do it all. Larp is the top of the RPG food chain as the next step up is umm... real swords and death and such ;) tabletop and forum roleplay is a crucial element in system growth and doing things at cons when we can't swing swords or battle the beasts. By bridging the gap or other PRG's and Larp, we allow our community to play out characters no matter the situation.

With that said, I'd like to start the tabletop version of Myths as a dice game where you have specific dice that represent actions that would actually take place in larp games. Think about the actions we use at larp... these can be added to custom die and also represent actions via numbers for plain numerical dice.

We have the game mechanics for Myths already done, if we set up some dice sets to represent actions, then we can start testing this thing.

Proposal -
    • Make the non-larp Myths & Legends world Haloria
    • Set up a section of the site to build characters based on the exact same skills in Myths (using the new character builder instead of fields so we can test that)
    • Make a world map and have some Haloria Elders come up with regions, names, lore, etc.
    • I can make a few basic cities that can be represented via Campaign Cartographer so we can make a base map if people want to print them for the game
    Equipment - As a draft, I thought about having different colors represent different actions. A player would toss all the dice at one time then explain the action based on the roll. We can use numbered die that are colored but ideally, I'd like to laser engrave the actions on the die when we make the game sets for less confusion and more seamless roleplay. If one of the abilities is not on the character sheet, we'll also have a alt action under it like miss.
    • Weapon Die Actions: Strikes: Head, Left Arm, Right Arm, Torso, Right Upper Leg, Left Upper Leg, Right Lower Leg, Left Lower Leg, Right Foot, Left Foot, Cleaving Strike, Miss, Glance, Sunder Wespon, Sunder Shield
    • Armor Die Actions: Protects without damage, Protects with damage, armor destroyed, strike found a gap in armor
    • Magic Strikes: Head, Left Arm, Right Arm, Torso, Right Upper Leg, Left Upper Leg, Right Lower Leg, Left Lower Leg, Right Foot, Left Foot, Cleaving Strike, Miss, Glance
    • Magic Block: Protected, Missed
    I'm not sure what other actions would be needed because professions stuff like enchantments and poisons are roleplayed during the turn or action before the roll. I know I'm missing some things yet but this gives you a general idea?

Once we have the basic rpg down, I'd LOVE to come up with banner maps, 3d printed buildings, characters etc. I would love to have dungeon crawler tiles, game boards, etc. as things we can market to game shops AND bring people into larp in the process because they'll be learning our game system.

Rachel Skymoon Giveth praise for this remark!
  8. Pathurs Xanatov

Pathurs Xanatov LarpCraft of Coffs Hbr Elder - Undead Necromancer '17 Donor Past Contributor The Abyssal Cabal Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Lifetime Member

I'm imagining similar to Hearthstone (video card game), the cards have Hitpoints (armour), buffs (like magic block), and attack? (like how many times they can get a good hit in)

The card will have their abilities on them, which would have to use the third stat (mana). I can draw up an example of what I am thinking as a card design concept

9. Bernur Matthildrson

Bernur Matthildrson Nordbergets LarpCraft of Sweden Myths & Legends

Sounds interesting. Using your own profile as a character sheet I assume?

10. Drake Grim

it would be fun but let us not forget this is larp dont let this game turn the larp into a tabletop

11. Artenen Aeolus

Yes, but it may not be your larp profile so you can trade coin and earn xp per post more.

12. Artenen Aeolus

Cards would work just as well as dice would I'd think.

13. Artenen Aeolus

There is a definite need to have tabletop as per my explination. I'd love to have larpcraft at gencon for instance but can't when you can't even use a foam weapon and all the rules... it sucks to not have something.

14. Pathurs Xanatov

Pathurs Xanatov LarpCraft of Coffs Hbr Elder - Undead Necromancer '17 Donor Past Contributor The Abyssal Cabal Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Lifetime Member

15. Artenen Aeolus

I don't get it lol I mean I thought I did but then I saw this and.. umm... nope lol

16. Dreddlok Eadnokka

Dreddlok Eadnokka Orc Ranger LarpCraft of Six Lakes, MI Host Myths & Legends

It's a great idea, the mechanics are going to be the main hurdle. I'm a fan of the 2d10 ..01-100% chance system, using skill levels to add and difficulty of action to subtract from the roll. You could still have additional custom dice..one for hit severity and one for location and have diff ones for weapons, magic, etc..

17. Drake Grim

you have a point

18. Birna Fathmbjornsdottir

Birna Fathmbjornsdottir Barbarian LarpCraft Sheboygan Elder Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

Hmm... I had a lot to catch up on here. I'll say it now, I'm not a fan of custom dice. I have a whole box full of dice, including a few specialty ones. The specialty ones always get an angry look because there is zero use for them outside of that game system.

Pathurs, I've not played Hearthstone, so I'm not quite sure how the card thing would work. How would one resolve things like combat with that system?

I think we'd be better served by a percentile system of some sort and really. For example, why can't a called shot to a particular location be a standardized modifier to make it easier/harder to hit like torso +0, limb +1, hand/foot +2, etc. and armor type modifies your your defensive rolls with the comparison between the two numbers to determine how badly you've been hit if you were hit?

19. Drake Grim

I have played hearthstone pathurs I understand how it would work I would love it to work that way

Village Crier