1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wicked Replica Gen 2 Weapons

Discussion in 'LarpCraft of Tea Tree Gully SA, AUS' started by Jaxom Drazic, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Jaxom Drazic

Jaxom Drazic Human Warrior Transferred Character Myths & Legends

Greetings all larpers from the Land Down Under, has anyone larp tested wicked replicas generation 2 weapons? They look similar, just wondering if they have a wider and not so sharp edge as the gen 1 versions, and if their new foam/latex is soft enough now. Would be great to support an australian manufacturer of larp weapons!

Gladdy Williams Giveth praise for this remark!
  2. Gladdy Williams

Gladdy Williams Human Paladin Myths & Legends

Us down here at the southern wilds have tested them and allow gen 2 in our games :) I personally do not own a gen 2 yet but it is on the list of things for me to buy :) for more info our colony elders both use wicked replicas gen 2 :)

3. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

When we spoke the manufacturer direct, that is what he said he was going to do. We explained that they need to be softer and with more striking surface to work in a medium contact Larp. He seemed to understand and was going to work on what looks like you see now.

We have not had any updates from the company itself after that initial play test.

Jaxom Drazic Giveth praise for this remark!
  4. DraZuul Barra

DraZuul Barra Myths & Legends

I have the Gen II roman sword, Viking sword and hand and a half sword. The foam in acceptable to be hit with and the edges are blunt. The foam is still denser than Epic Armory for example. I also have the Battle Legends axe and seems to pass regulations but further testing will be done tonight at a training session (heads up Gladdy Williams). I'm looking at videoing reviews of them all soon and posting the reviews.

Artenen Aeolus, Jaxom Drazic and Gladdy Williams Giveth praise for this remark!
  5. Jaxom Drazic

That is awesome news my Southern Brother. The hand and a half and viking swords are perfect as a long handed and bastard weapons respectively, they look very nice, perhaps some hockey tape or leather on the hilt of the hand and a half for me though. Looking forward to the reviews! I found the epic armoury weapons to be a bit light on in the foam department, especially when newbies start flailing away.

DraZuul Barra and Gladdy Williams giveth praise for this remark!
  6. Jaxom Drazic

Any news on the Gen 2 wicked replica weapons dudes? Are they are a pass you reckon?

Artenen Aeolus Giveth praise for this remark!
  7. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

How do they compare to the calimacil swords???

8. Gladdy Williams

None of us are using calimacil in the southern wilds, our brothers in the van demons may be able to help more :)

9. Jaxom Drazic

Did you end up playtesting the wicked replica gen 2 weapons?

10. Gladdy Williams

Yeah they work well, little denser then the platonik ( not sure of spelling) sword i am used too. at the moment the colony has the Roman Gladius, The hand and a half sword, the viking sword from memory. I'm buying a hand and a half when all this christmas stuff dies down, DraZuul Barra can give you more specifics as to how he found them when he used them, but for me when i tried it they worked very well :)

11. DraZuul Barra

I will be putting the Gladius, the Viking Sword, the Hand and Half and the Battle Legends Axe through their paces tomorrow arvo. I am looking at taking my video camera and doing a review with them too, comparing them to the Epic Armoury swords we have.

12. Jaxom Drazic

That is perfect, a comparison to something with which we are familiar, thanks dude.

13. Aldur Spiritbrook

Aldur Spiritbrook Elf Cleric of Van Daemons Elder '17 Donor Myths & Legends Mythical | Legendary | Epic Member 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Member

Will be good to see as I am currently considering my options on weapons at the moment.

14. Gladdy Williams

bruising complete, david will let you know his thoughts soon, compared to epic armory they hurt more but as a trade off i like the extra weight of the epic armory (doesnt feel like im using a toy) david could probably do this more indepth then i can :) but

TLDR they hurt more but i kinda like them.

15. Gladdy Williams

Also wicked replica's weapons take a bit more wear then the epic armory ones and will require more upkeep, kinda expected for the cheaper options but its not an unacceptable level of wear, just a couple of scuff marks that will need to be seen too :)

16. DraZuul Barra

Forgot the video camera.
    Wicked Replica tested:
    Gladius (one hand) http://www.globalgear.com.au/weapons/LARP-weapons/battle-legends-roman-gladius-sword-gen-ii
    Viking Sword (one hand long) http://www.globalgear.com.au/weapons/LARP-weapons/battle-legends-valhalla-viking-sword-v2
    Hand and Half (bastard) http://www.globalgear.com.au/weapons/LARP-weapons/battle-legends-hand-and-a-half-sword-gen-ii
    Axe of Doom (bastard) http://www.globalgear.com.au/weapons/LARP-weapons/wicked-replicas-axe-of-doom

Epic Armoury tested:
    Ready For Battle Elven Sword (one hand) http://ofscienceandswords.com.au/shop/index.php?id_product=402262&controller=product
    Dao (one hand long) http://ofscienceandswords.com.au/shop/index.php?id_product=803039&controller=product

Outcome:
    Although the EA (Epic Armoury) weaponry is softer and has a more fantasy appearance, the WR (Wicked Replica) swords are more durable with a denser foam and have a more realistic appearance. The result of the denser foam in the WR blades is that you are more aware of them hitting, this is not an issue if armour or thick clothing (winter garb) is worn but the wielder will need to be more aware of the strength behind their blows during summer. I have played with both Gen II and Gen I WR weapons and the Gen I is a definative NO USE policy, bones will break before weapons do. Gen II weapons are not as dangerous, they will still bruise if the wielder doesn't pay attention but they are about the same as using offers (PVC pipe in a pool noodle covered in duct tape for those unfamiliar with the term).
    The WR flex isn't as great as the EA weapons, bit they still flex. The core can be felt in both WR and EA and both have a thrust safe tip on them.
    Personally, I am willing to allow WR in my colony as it is readily accessible, very affordable and safe to use. Just like all weapon fighting blows will have to be landed softly and safely, no matter the weapon company any foam weapon is a hazard if used recklessly.

Jaxom Drazic and Gladdy Williams giveth praise for this remark!
  17. Jaxom Drazic

This is great news for Australian Larpers!
    I quess it is still up to the elders and organisers of each colony to play test and approve these weapons, but I am glad they pass the test of the Southern Wilds Colony.

This means we can buy Australian made weapons and support an Australian company. Good. As far as the hardness goes, it is all about placing and pulling your strikes, aiming for gaps in armour except for the head groin and hands. Thats what weekly battleground nights are for, training, and with training comes control. The flailing away wildly technique is discouraged in this system, and I agree with that, and as DraZuul Barra said above, no weapon is safe if used recklessly.

18. Jaxom Drazic

Perhaps the good folk at Wicked Replicas should present a sword to the Southern Wilds Colony for such a good job of endorsing their product, he he.

DraZuul Barra, Sladen Dakkar and Gladdy Williams Giveth praise for this remark!
  19. Gladdy Williams

or a sneaky discount when i buy one

Delgado Montoya, Sladen Dakkar and Jaxom Drazic Giveth praise for this remark!
  20. Sladen Dakkar

Sladen Dakkar Rogue Myths & Legends Lifetime Award

Ack! RFB swords are a bad option (especially against denser swords like the Gen IIs) - their cores are not as thick as the rest of the Epic line and they will snap more readily. The good news? When they do snap, the foam isn't breached and there are no fibreglass shards. So, there's that. :P

21. Jaxom Drazic

Wicked replicas have a retailer here in TWBA, $50 per weapon, with a commitment from the retailer to discount them for our Larp Group. This is a huge win for us Aussies, as decent weapons have previously been home made or imported (usually at considerable cost). Have received a WR Gen II Excalibur for my birthday last month. After play testing them, we have decided to allow them to be used, I concur with Drazuul they are definitely softer than Gen I, and harder than epic armoury.

DraZuul Barra, Daw Mstislav, Gladdy Williams and 1 other person Giveth praise for this remark!
  22. Wulfric Hrolfsson

Wulfric Hrolfsson LarpCraft of Tea Tree Gully Host - Human Barbarian LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder

Yes, the only issue I have with Wicked Replica.... IS THE LACK OF STOCK on the Hand and a Half... been waiting for one to come into stock for a few weeks now. I called them up and they said if anything I may have to wait till June-July if they get more in.
    /sadface

23. Gladdy Williams

ill have to pick one up next tiem im up

24. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

I really like that "Excalibur" which is oddly named since it has the arms of what look like Henry V on the hilt. BUt i like it! and i want that FLAIL! Anyone know how i can get them in the US?

25. Gladdy Williams

unsure, have a look at Global Gear to see if they do overseas shipping as they are based in melbourne Australia

King Murdoch McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  26. King Murdoch McArthur

I know shipping TO Australia is high as heck, i have no idea if the US puts as high a cost on stuff coming in.

27. Gladdy Williams

anyonline store worth their salt should be able to give you a quote on postage to the us :) get in contact with them.

28. Daw Mstislav

Daw Mstislav Human Druid Myths & Legends

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  29. Wulfric Hrolfsson

Wulfric Hrolfsson LarpCraft of Tea Tree Gully Host - Human Barbarian LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder

I am thinking that the Strider Sword might have to be my Go-To Hand and a Half Sword.
    Although it is $14 more... might see if I can talk them into a price drop because of the lack of Hand and a Half's ;)
    Strider Sword

30. Jaxom Drazic

Saw this staff at twba for $90 and the sword for $50. The staff passes in my opinion and the sword definitely passes.

Daw Mstislav Giveth praise for this remark!
  31. Daw Mstislav

Daw Mstislav Human Druid Myths & Legends

as a druid i can not use a 2 handed sword, so it would be just for fun or my larp kids to use.
    wish i had $ t buy new toys, i would be on a road trip. :)

32. Quientin Angelus

Quientin Angelus Undead Of The Southern Wilds Elder Myths & Legends

Wulfric Hrolfsson if you were a comic con I think the EB games stall had gen II hand a half swords on sale. They definately had Anduril for sale.
    Murdoch McArthur There is a lot of love for the wicked replicas flail. However, at this stage we've yet to get our hands on one to test it. The down side is according to the weapon specs we've read, it seems that it exceeds the length allowed for larpcraft. The "chain" seems to be too long. We're hoping to get our hands on one soon and see if it can be modified to make it larpcraft legal.

33. Jaxom Drazic

I have seen it, it has a chain over a foot long, but the head is very soft. According to Larpcraft rules, the chain is too long.

34. Wulfric Hrolfsson

DraZuul and I wonder if there was a way to detach the Chain/Rope/Cord/Length/Thing and reduce the size to make it legal.
    Judging by the Images, I have a feeling it may be possible.
    Unfortunately Anduril is over the Limit for "Hand and a Half" and is more into the Two Handed Category, being 120cm [47 & 1/4"] Also Unfortunately I didn't go to OzComicCon, but I might ring around some EB Games.

35. King Murdoch McArthur

i'd just tie a knot in it in a couple places and shorten it.

Sladen Dakkar, Wulfric Hrolfsson and Gladdy Williams Giveth praise for this remark!
  36. DraZuul Barra

I managed to get my hands on Gandalf's staff over the weekend and I feel that it might be a little too dense (particularly the head) for safe use, but I and reserving my final judgement until I have had it on the field and played with it more

Village Crier