1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use Peperment Oil To Back Out Ticks

Discussion in 'Tick Talk' started by Artenen Aeolus, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

Never remove a tick with anything other than a tweezer. Stressing a tick out with peppermint oil will cause it to regurgitate before backing out and that is where Lyme bacteria is transferred. DO NOT DO THIS!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. Maliostro Cavaldi

Maliostro Cavaldi Human Bard -{LarpCraft of Superior Host}- LarpCraft Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder

Actually, I was doing some research on "green friendly" bug repellents. I eventually wanted to make some and sell them in game at my apothecary shop as earth friendly bug juice.

I might as well put the recipe for Vinegar of the Four Thieves right here, even though it might cut into my business.

Vinegar of the Four Thieves
    1 Quart (32 oz) of Apple Cider Vinegar
    2 Tbsp Dried Sage
    2 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
    2 Tbsp Dried Thyme
    2 Tbsp Dried Mint
    2 Tbsp Dried Lavender

Take a one quart mason jar and fill with above ingredients. Shake well, and leave the jar on your counter top or where you won't forget it. Shake the mixture vigorously at least once a day for two to three weeks. At the end of the infusion period, strain out the herbs and store the tincture in a bottle in your fridge.

The Vinegar of the Four Thieves supposedly hails from the time of the Black Plague in Europe. A thieves guild used the tincture both to take internally, and as a bug spray to keep away vermin. And it supposedly worked, keeping away flies and the true culprits that carried the plague, biting fleas. To use as a bug spray, dilute one part tincture to one part water. To take internally, dilute 1 Tbsp of tincture in 1 Cup of water and drink. You can also try adding lemongrass, chamomile, and catnip to both increase the insect repellent and digestive benefit properties. A word of warning though, it neither tastes nor smells very pleasant.

Artenen Aeolus Giveth praise for this remark!

Village Crier