1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Shire At Esker

Discussion in 'Medieval Structures' started by Artenen Aeolus, May 9, 2017.

1. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends Mythical | Legendary | Epic Member 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

So I tried to think of the best way to utilize the hilly areas of the camp. Since you can't build cabins out there easily, I thought it would make a darn good hobbit shire with many earth cabins.

The Ranger liked the idea
    Keldor Ironfoot loved the idea
    Most of you that I talked with loved the idea
    And now the board.. they loved the idea. This means the shire at esker moves to phase 2. Keldor and I are going to 3D model the proposed area and then the draft will be presented for permit. If it clears the town for permit, then we can get contractor bids for cost analysis. These hobbit holes need to be up to commercial code so that's a big unknown right now but a major obstacle has been cleared tonight in the 3 hour meeting.

I'll post the proposed concepts here when done.

We're looking to skin all cabins medieval and many more things with this property so it better fits out needs. This... is.... exciting.

There will be a tax deductible campaign going up for this where people can help make the shire and get their names on things etc. It'll likely go up at www.campsinawa.com which I'm building right now.

More to come...

King Murdoch McArthur, Maliostro Cavaldi and Serena Valentina Giveth praise for this remark!
  2. Maliostro Cavaldi

Maliostro Cavaldi Human Bard -{LarpCraft of Superior Host}- LarpCraft Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder 2017 Legendary Membership

You could do cob construction dwellings that flow with the hillsides, with sod roofs. It would look very pastoral and rustic. And cob is easy and cheap to make, it's fire resistance, earthquake resistant and it can last decades if properly maintained. Plus it's a very medieval authentic building technique.

King Murdoch McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  3. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends Mythical | Legendary | Epic Member 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

Indeed, did you see the log building when at the camp? Inspector nixed the sod roof for commercial building already, but earn homes are different so it shouldn't matter.

Here's some pics from the video I took of that building yesterday.
    Capture3.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG

King Murdoch McArthur, Frey Toron and Nemia O'Dyna Giveth praise for this remark!
  4. Frey Toron

Frey Toron Ranger Past Contributor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers 2017 Legendary Membership

Are you thinking actual hobbit holes like the ones below?
    e4a8be7e4538254cba316cf700bdb3f6.jpeg e4a8be7e4538254cba316cf700bdb3f6.jpeg e4a8be7e4538254cba316cf700bdb3f6.jpeg

King Murdoch McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  5. Keldor Ironfoot

Keldor Ironfoot Dwarf Cleric LarpCraft Sheboygan Elder Myths & Legends Mythical | Legendary | Epic Member 2017 Waivers Elder House of the Iron Ring

Yes, but actually in hills at Esker. I need to get there to take some more pictures and finish the pre-vis.

Frey Toron Giveth praise for this remark!
  6. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile Lifetime Award

Oh so kewl beans! You can get molded roofs that look like slate or thatch etc

7. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile Lifetime Award

Also there are prefab shelters we could build into the hills like storm shelters.

8. King Murdoch McArthur

Is the stone cabin open again?

Village Crier