1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psa:tents

Discussion in 'Tents' started by Grath Dragous, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Grath Dragous

Grath Dragous Orc Warrior Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile

Not sure where to put this exactly, so figured here might work. I got one of the octagon tents used from artenen and love it, but this weekend at world we found out something. The loops for putting the ground stake in do rip semi-easily, if stake is long enough or designed not to slip the loop off of. so i would suggest making a loop of para cord tied to the loops to protect them.
    i do know if the other 18' tent was up for sale i would get it in a heartbeat(or as soon as i could afford it, lol)

Anastasia Dawntide and King Murdoch McArthur giveth praise for this remark!
  2. Wiktor Kostka

Wiktor Kostka Retired Warrior Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Epic Profile

If your loops are ripping at the seam, it is most likely do to rot. and spraying with a fungicide and then with a silicone spray will increase the life of a cloth tent (re-sewing seam, and maybe adding a patch to reinforce).
    A nylon tent, sewing a new loop would be the only real choice. Sew to a patch of a heavier material first then sew patch to tent ( this will help spread the tension of any weakness that maybe there do to damage to old loop.
    It is always a good idea to make sure loop is anchored to something smooth. A carbineer connected to the stake or loop on tent will help if the are any rough edges on a stake. a lot of stakes have rough edges, that can be sanded. forged stakes should have the two inner edges hammered smooth before the hook is bent over, or you can get a chain of only 2 links (one you stake through, the other you clip to, or tie a guide rope to). Rebar can be sanded, heated and have wax melted onto hot bar to stop rust (rust acts like sand paper).
    hammering in stake before you place loop over stake will limit hammer hits on loops (if you miss hitting stake)

King Murdoch McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  3. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends Mythical | Legendary | Epic Member 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

Moved to the tent talk group.

Wiktor Kostka Giveth praise for this remark!
  4. Grath Dragous

Grath Dragous Orc Warrior Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile

thanks artenen, and our issue was in pulling out the stakes got one loop that ripped out

Village Crier