1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psa: Caterpillars

Discussion in 'LarpCraft of Sheboygan, WI USA' started by Serena Valentina, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Serena Valentina

Serena Valentina Sorceress (mage) Lore Master Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder

This is a PSA regarding poisonous caterpillars.
    These guys are small, fuzzy, and usually brightly colored. We do have one fuzzy that isn't poisonous, but for your safety don't pick up or touch any of the local wildlife. These caterpillars won't kill you, but a touch will hurt.
    There already has been one incident regarding one of these caterpillars recorded in Manitowoc County this summer, and I spotted another one by where I live as we unloaded the box truck. Note that this is the first time I've seen one and that I've heard of this being an incident in the entire time I've lived in WI, a good 24 years. The chances of seeing one are particularly low, but they are there.
    If you happen to have skin contact with one:
    Contact an Elder Immediately!
    All elders will be pointed out before game on, and there will be a list of them kept in the Tavern.
    If contact occurs contact an elder and tell them where contact was located
    Elders will have tape on hand as it can pull out any of the furs left in the skin and will use it on contacted area
    Player will more than likely be transported to nearest hospital thereafter

Again, I grew up in the area and never saw one till this summer further south. The incident earlier this summer could be highly out of the ordinary but it did still occur. These bugs are bright in color, so are harder to miss (the one I saw yesterday was lime green with a red head) than normal caterpillars.

Avoid walking barefoot would be the best way to avoid all chances of contact. Walking barefoot has its' dangers already and is frowned upon on site, primarily with ventures into the woods.
    If you see something that's alive and not yours, don't touch it. We will be out in the woods where animals and plants live every day. So don't pick the ghost roses (They're mushrooms), don't chase a turkey or goose, and don't try to pick up a fuzzy caterpillar.
    Children need to be supervised when on the trails for the reasons above. Curiosity is an amazing thing, but I know all of us would hate to transport a child in pain to the nearest hospital. The bugs are not life threatening, but when it comes down to it, doctors will know way more than any of us regarding these little fuzzies.
    If you're not sure about something but feel you need to get a closer look, use gloves unless you can see the entire surface you'd be touching.

Side Note:
    Mosquitoes
    are still out in force, so make sure you have bug spray and I will suggest tiki torches or other citronella based products to spread around your encampment. Bites from these guys are not fun, but are not as bad as fuzzy caterpillars. We will keep some spare bug spray in the Tavern (please spray outside) in case someone forgets or runs out. During the day they won't be as bad, but at night make sure to re-apply every other hour or so.

2. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

yep treat it like a bee sting, i your allergic to insect stings tell someone immediately should you be stung by anything

3. Elerindalia Raeloren

Elerindalia Raeloren Elf Merchant Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers

i will have my epi pen on me at all times

Village Crier