1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Game Style: Scenarios

Discussion in 'LarpCraft of St. Louis, MO USA' started by Ufnar Kargaroth, May 28, 2014.

1. Ufnar Kargaroth

Ufnar Kargaroth Orc Warrior/Hunter Transferred Character Myths & Legends

We're gonna start running plotted scenarios instead of just combat games for our practices. Most of these will be played as NPCs rather than your PC (though you can and should still wear your normal kit). This will allow us to progress the game lore beyond our little village between events, and give people the opportunity to NPC various character types.

Each practice I will outline the scenario, and we will do a drawing each go around to see which PCs are present for these happenings, but again most of us will be playing NPCs.

This will really help us not only give depth to our game world, but also improve our roleplay skills. Now, there will still be plenty of combat, so do not worry ;)

Thoughts?

Mordekai Fox Giveth praise for this remark!
  2. Ufnar Kargaroth

These scenarios can be used to advance plotlines from past events, build on new ones, progress individual characters stories, etc. The possibilities are limitless. Think of them like cut-scenes from elsewhere in Averen.

3. Sully Little

Sully Little Speaker to the Spirits Myths & Legends

More opportunity to roleplay, and a chance to play different characters? What's not to like?

4. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

neat
    Also let people try different things our

5. Robillard Stormcaller

Robillard Stormcaller High Priest of Lolth The Seekers The Fated Guild Transferred Character Myths & Legends

i agree completely!

6. Birna Fathmbjornsdottir

Birna Fathmbjornsdottir Barbarian LarpCraft Sheboygan Elder Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

Sounds like a great idea! Keep us posted, eh?

7. Thoven Alexandrus

Thoven Alexandrus Human Warrior of Averen Colony Myths & Legends

Yes, this would be nice

8. Robillard Stormcaller

Robillard Stormcaller High Priest of Lolth The Seekers The Fated Guild Transferred Character Myths & Legends

are we starting this saturday?

9. Ufnar Kargaroth

The first scenario will be set for the 14th, when Frey and Ravellina have returned from their journey to the marshlands in the south.

We have a few scenarios already planned, building up to the plot for a future regional event I'm coordinating with a few colony chiefs outside of our region (maybe a mini world event? :D ). However, if you guys have ideas for possible scenarios, send then to me via pm.

Remember, they should be looked at as events unfolding in Averen beyond the village of Kali (where our last two events took place). They can be centered around a couple PCs, or strictly NPC. I can't guarantee we'll use yours, but fresh ideas are always nice. Heck, if it's good enough, we may build an actual event off it!

10. Torrin Blades

Torrin Blades Human Mercenary LarpCraft of St Louis Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Dragon Legion Guild

i have some ideas to lend but shall discuss w/ you and every one

11. Ufnar Kargaroth

I would prefer there be some anonymity to the concepts. Just like a real event, I want the players to experience it AS it unfolds, rather than know exactly what's gonna happen. Please send it to me in a PM.

12. Aximili Ohmsford

Aximili Ohmsford Holy Cleric Of The Fated The Fated Guild Myths & Legends

im 50/50 on this. i like increasing lore and such. it sounds great. but i idk about the being forced to npc thing.

13. Torrin Blades

Torrin Blades Human Mercenary LarpCraft of St Louis Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Dragon Legion Guild

Aximili playing as an npc is as much fun as playing your pc. but this is my honest opinion

14. Ufnar Kargaroth

Again, it's just to progress some stories and give background events to enhance the setting of our game world. You would still gain xp for your character.

Think of it this way: your character wouldn't be EVERYWHERE in Averen at the same time. Many of these scenarios could be taking place at exactly the same time as another... We're essentially just acting them out.

Birna Fathmbjornsdottir Giveth praise for this remark!
  15. Aximili Ohmsford

ah ok. my brain sees better now. i think i misunderstood what was going on hahah

16. Aximili Ohmsford

ok so basically its like a place where our characters arent even at or hardly there. so well play out scenarios about townsfolk or such other people that might be involved later. am i right in my thinking?

17. Ufnar Kargaroth

Correct. Perhaps a village a few day's journey from Kali is being plagued by werewolf attacks. One or two PCs may be in the area, but not all of us... so those PCs would be there to help, while the rest of us play the townspeople or werewolves. The outcome of this scenario would be recorded, and that would be something that could be referenced by other characters as a rumor/tale, etc, and may even be used as a main plot later down the road.

Robillard Stormcaller Giveth praise for this remark!
  18. Ufnar Kargaroth

For instance, maybe Aximili and Kuba happen to be camping nearby, and witness the wolves attacking. They try to rush to the aid, but are too late. The wolves disappear into the forest. Now, what remains of the town's folk hire Kuba and Aximili to hunt the wolves, and a couple of the locals join the party as well.... then the rest of the scenario would be based on that. Afterwards, when you've killed all the wolves, you return to the village for payment, only to learn that the leader of the wolves was the mayor's son. The townsfolk are horrified at your lack of mercy, and chase you from their village ;)

Anything could happen...

19. Ufnar Kargaroth

That was an extreme example, but I think you get my point.

20. Ufnar Kargaroth

These scenarios can be tailored as the adventures of a specific faction, character(s), or just something that is happening elsewhere that we'll eventually learn of.

21. Robillard Stormcaller

22. Drazi Ohmsford

Drazi Ohmsford Human Cleric of Light The Fated Guild Myths & Legends

I think we need more locations. Great idea, but our area we frequent is the Dark Forest.

23. Aximili Ohmsford

we've only been there 2 times for events. and 2 small practice that you werent even there for lol. More locations is a good idea for later. but in picking a place you have to worry about alot of things. Like will be there a mass amount of muggles there? Are we gonna get yelled at/kicked out for being somewhere. Is there alot of space? running area? trails... woods.. etc. I know ive tried to think of places and im sure everyone else has. Its just not that easy =(
    Go online and see if there might be some cool area's thats within distance of most people and throw the idea at ufnar or other elders. Maybe youll find us the perfect spot !!!!!

Drazi Ohmsford Giveth praise for this remark!
  24. Ufnar Kargaroth

Frey and I are always looking for new locations, but as Aximili said, it is not so easy. However, we do have a couple new parks we're gonna try out in upcoming practices.

I've also found what will probably be our new location for Regional events if we can get approval from the Parks Dept. It's a 600 acre park with nearly 10 miles worth of trails, a LARGE clearing (big enough to set up 2 villages and still have a decent hike between the two), and allows camping up to 100 ppl for a flat rate. The catch is it is closed to the public on the weekends, so we'd have to get a special authorization permit to use it. However, that also means ZERO muggles ;)

Drazi Ohmsford and Robillard Stormcaller giveth praise for this remark!
  25. Ufnar Kargaroth

But by all means, you guys should keep an eye out for good locations! I have no problems hopping from one site to another for these practices/scenarios as long as they have the necessities (trails, clearings, preferably restrooms and running water though those aren't necessarily required). If you find something, send a PM to me and Frey and we'll scout it out! Heck, you nail us a good location and I'll give you a fat bonus of XP!

26. Aximili Ohmsford

can you give us the name of this park?

27. Ufnar Kargaroth

Indian creek

28. Torrin Blades

i have pitched several areas but no ear will listen

29. Drazi Ohmsford

My grandfather owns a big plot of land out in Warrenton. It's not LARP ready, but I'm sure he'd be A-OK with letting us use it if I cleaned it up. That would be in the future though, not anytime soon. I'll look for places in the meantime, but it's hard to find a good area so close to STL. I still love the Deeplight Colony dungeon, and would like to have something similar here in the future. There's just so many ideas for these kind of things, but so little time and money with real life.

30. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

Serena may have access to a site. I think she mentioned it as well.

31. Birna Fathmbjornsdottir

Birna Fathmbjornsdottir Barbarian LarpCraft Sheboygan Elder Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

(Psst, Murdoch, they aren't in Wisconsin.)

32. King Murdoch McArthur

thought it was general new site discussion

33. Sully Little

Sully Little Speaker to the Spirits Myths & Legends

There are a few parks I could pitch... but I don't think the whole colony wants to make the drive out to the Eureka/Pacific area.

34. Drazi Ohmsford

That would be a bit far for just a few hours of practice, but for a 2 or 3 day event, that would be doable, or at least I would think so.

35. Ufnar Kargaroth

Indian Creek is in Wentzville. I've also been looking at a few others that are just as far. I want to keep them central to everyone, but it looks like if we're going to get a good OVERNIGHT location, we're all going to have to drive the distance.

A couple others I'm looking at are near Wildwood, Defiance, and Sullivan. Yes. It means when we do an overnight game everyone will have at least an hour's drive if not 2 to get there, but I think the trade off will be worth it.

36. Brigid Sieghart

Brigid Sieghart Ex Valkyrie. Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers

I work in Wildwood, What park are you looking at?

37. Ufnar Kargaroth

It's not technically Wildwood, but just down 109/Etherton Rd.

Howell Island Conservation Area

Village Crier