1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funding Changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Artenen Aeolus, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

LarpCraft funds and campaigns are now combined so anytime the company needs something, it will be transparent via the donations area of the site.

All memberships and any sales of things are now being added to a single PayPal account where as before we had a separate fund for campaigns and monthly bills.

Hosts will be informed of monthly statements and balances and I'll be asking advice on campaigns and expenditures. LarpCraft has no employees and no payroll, we simply use the funds we take in to expand and maintain the site.

All profiles are now required to have a basic membership. I'm still working out if we can somehow make alts / Haloria accounts free without needing to manually go in and do these changes. To make things super clear on a local level, the local chapters of Norhaven are no longer allowed to run game funds through my accounts. While our Wisconsin larp games are self funded, we wanted to make it clear that no LarpCraft money was being used for any one local chapter. This also means I'm no longer able to host games or head up any one chapter to avoid the risk of financial blur. I'll help the local chapters as much as possible however, but I need to be doing videos and site work not running games. The Norhaven chapters have been running independently for most of 2016 and all of 2017, I've just never thought to inform anyone about this because it's never been mentioned before.

The membership requirement came to pass for a number of reasons listed below.
    • Sick and tired of empty profiles. People join on a whim and then never go to games or do anything. A lot of the site is free to see and use without a profile already so empty profiles should be a thing of the past if someone has to toss a few bucks at making a profile. Our of 5 thousand profiles only a few hundred are used month to month.
    • I've had to personally fund and pay for site fees when LarpCraft hasn't had enough memberships to make ends meet. I've dumped tens of thousands into LarpCraft over the years to get it going and over the last 20 months I've accumulated almost $4k in debt to keep things going when memberships stopped coming in. I'm done personally funding this site. It's now up to the system to support itself. We're no longer selling products, just memberships as our own sales were competing against players and chapters who are starting to make stores on site (which is great!). We don't want to compete against our own chapters or members but product sales were a huge part of our funding, it's how we got through a lot of tough times. Even making arrowheads and spell orbs, I donated my time at night to do that so we could pay for stuff on the site, but those days are now over and I'm giving the molds for that stuff to Keldor because he helped get this going too. I hope he can start making stuff again and that you'll all support him as he's invested over $10k himself to see LarpCraft work.
    • Needed the chapters to get a portion of the memberships. This has worked really great to help small chapters get the seed money to host games. We lost this ability for a while and it sucked a lot for chapters. We now have this ability back and the payouts are automated so every time someone joins through a chapters affiliate link, they get paid within the hour without me having to manually do it. This is a sustainable way to keep helping players on a local level by supporting and funding the local chapters. Most people don't see that a chapter has many costs like starting a non-profit, getting a checking account, getting insurance, buying props, funding marketing, paying site fees, etc. etc. etc. Running a chapter can be expensive and I feel it's LarpCraft's duty to help as much as possible.
    • I want to turn LarpCraft into a non-profit now that product sales, design, etc. are no longer on the board. If we're just a membership organization, there is no need to run this as a for-profit and we'll never come close to running against the upper income cap for non-profits.
    Once the global lore character has been funded, we'll add a general funding monthly campaign for website work / bills that'll be needed for that month. Past that, we'll fund prizes for the giveaways... really really nice prizes can now be possible (which we'll review in videos too). Again, I'll be tossing in a financial report that I'll go over with the hosts so if anything is ever in question past the above, go ahead and ask your host or maybe even the elders.

Many of you have seen I've been distant as of late, only doing website work and putting out fires. This has nothing to do with LarpCraft and no bad mojo or juju is going on behind the scenes on my end. My family is in the process of selling our home and my insurance and wine businesses are really taking off so I have no time for larpness. I do miss the daily chats I've had with many of you and hope to get back to that and writing soon.

Nathaniel Arcleht, Wiktor Kostka, Drift Wood and 1 other person Giveth praise for this remark!
  2. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

This is in my top 3 reasons why i like the new funding

"Sick and tired of empty profiles. People join on a whim and then never go to games or do anything. A lot of the site is free to see and use without a profile already so empty profiles should be a thing of the past if someone has to toss a few bucks at making a profile. Our of 5 thousand profiles only a few hundred are used month to month."

If they don't make these empty profiles we loose nothing, if they pay then we get the $10 for the peoplel that play and maybe they play because they have an emotion and finicial investment.

Wiktor Kostka Giveth praise for this remark!
  3. Ralik Ravenwolf

Ralik Ravenwolf Human warrior Akuma Forest Host Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder

I like this and will continue to support the system any way i can

King Murdoch McArthur and Artenen Aeolus giveth praise for this remark!

Village Crier