1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crafting Photos

Discussion in 'LarpCraft of St. Louis, MO USA' started by Ufnar Kargaroth, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Drazi Ohmsford

Drazi Ohmsford Human Cleric of Light The Fated Guild Myths & Legends

I could not personally use it, but I know a few menfolk of our realm that would enjoy using it!

2. it would be pretty fun i think a few could use it haha i'll see what i can throw together =D

3. Futaba Ohmsford

Futaba Ohmsford The Seekers The Fated Guild Transferred Character Myths & Legends

It would not be to hard. Brother ill help you forge it if you wish but what would u class it under?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  4. a 2 handed weapon since it has nice length i think that would b emost appropriate

5. Futaba Ohmsford

Futaba Ohmsford The Seekers The Fated Guild Transferred Character Myths & Legends

What do you think elders? could we use a weapon like this ingame?
    WKxyLTr8JcMdeOAnpdOL6hRAylS9QujV.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2016
  6. i mean it does have a medival look to it anyways just look at this..

[​IMG]

7. Tripps Sinful

Tripps Sinful Human Cleric ~Elder of LarpCraft Milwaukee~ Myths & Legends

I would want to inspect the core before the foam was applied...

8. Ufnar Kargaroth

Ufnar Kargaroth Orc Warrior/Hunter Transferred Character Myths & Legends

Hmmm.... I remember someone asking about that a few months ago... I don't have a problem with it, as long as it is made safely. Remember, EVERYTHING you guys bring to an event WILL be tested, and tested thoroughly.

Drazi Ohmsford Giveth praise for this remark!
  9. Futaba Ohmsford

We know :) and understand we don't want anyone getting hurt. that puts a big stopper on the fun.

Arakar The Stormrider and Ufnar Kargaroth giveth praise for this remark!
  10. ya its no fun to have a person stabbed while trying to larp..that would ruin everything.

11. Drazi Ohmsford

Are there certain specifications for a staff? I don't want to bring mine and then have it turned away because it's not battle-ready.

12. Ufnar Kargaroth

The Requirements are the same for any melee weapon. Must have a pvc or fiberglass* core (*preferred). No wood or metal anywhere in the construction. There must be 1" of foam on any and all striking surfaces, and 1/2" of foam on any and all non-striking surfaces. There must be at least 2-3" of foam past the ends of the core, and the cores must be capped or reinforced on the ends to prevent ripping through the foam. Depending on the classification of the weapon (One-Handed, Long One-Handed, etc), there is also a weight limitation. The weight limitation is in place because heavier weapons get swung harder, and it is MUCH harder to pull your hits.

13. yup your staff should fit the qualifications drazi.. you may just want to add a bit of foam on the end since you only have 1 inch on it

14. cause we foamed up everything else didnt we?

15. Drazi Ohmsford

I'm going to post a few pictures of it for a bit of insight from anyone... sorry for the huge pictures in advance. And the room... we've been busy crafting. :) The pictures with the staff in my hand are just for size/circumference reference...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any comments, advice, or rules that may not be adhered to with this staff are most very welcome. :D

And Brathnik, the handle is just sports tape on top of PVC, with crafting glue for extra grip. This would have to be 1/2 inch foam from what Futaba says.

16. Futaba Ohmsford

i think no matter what u have to have at least 1/2 inch of foam on the non striking end, 1 inch on a striking end, and 2inches on a stabbing end.

17. ahhh i thought it was all foamed yes then it has to be all covered with that black foam then you can give it a tight wrap of hockey tape and it should be very strong

18. Drazi Ohmsford

I just need it to be a firm, tight grip that won't slip. It would greatly hinder my minute abilities as they are now...

19. nah you can do that pretty tightly that will make it look nice and work well

20. Drazi Ohmsford

You and Kalina need to come and help me 'tune' my staff. And work on stuffs.

*Is adamant about this issue*

21. yes we are off on tuesday so we could do something then im also off on thursday and saturday

22. Drazi Ohmsford

I'm off Monday and Wednesday... :(

23. well no help for you then

24. Drazi Ohmsford

*sighs, and shrugs*

I suppose it is a task I must do myself...

25. i;ll help you at some point i just dont know how much i can when we arent off togther

26. Ufnar Kargaroth

Lol, we even put foam on the grips for our long swords, then wrap them in paracord or rope.... the rope compresses it after a while, and you have to tighten it, but your hand will always cover it, so TECHNICALLY not needed... However, on the staff? Ya, it all needs at least a layer of foam.

27. ya ive foamed some of the longswords ive made just to make the impact less on your hand and to make the grip feel better

28. Kuba Ohmsford

Kuba Ohmsford The Seekers The Fated Guild Transferred Character Myths & Legends

Privy

I just built a cheap privy. There is still lots of work to be done on it but, thought I would show it to give others ideas.
    I was planning on using 2x2 to make this but I thought it may be to flimsy and by fate the store I went to had no 2x2's in.

I bought;
    8- 2inx3inx96in for 1.92 each (15.36 total)
    A cheap toilet seat 7.54
    Home Depot bucket 2.97
    2 1/2in wood screws 7.97
    small staple nails 1.30
    latch 2.78
    hinge 2.77
    plus tax 3.23
    total spent 43.92

I had an extra pull handle which I re purposed into a tp holder, I had some extra ply wood which I used for the roof, I also had an extra pair of shower curtains which I used to wrap the frame, and I had 2 extra drawer handles. I plan on getting some canvas or plastic liner & pallet wood to wrap the frame in eventually and I have to double screen the top or put in a small ventilation after finishing the walls with planks. I also have more plywood which I plan to finish the floor and to make a solid wood door.

Keep in mind this was a rush 3-4 hour job by myself trying not to make a mess in the kitchen putting this together.

L-2'5" x W-2'8" x H(real front) 7' (Real rear) 5'11"
    I did a test sit in with just regular clothing on and found the width is about right but the length is a bit short and would be more comfortable with another 3" added. With armor or real bulky clothing you may want to add another 6" length and width to give more moving room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I did put the door and seat on backwards from what I wanted but that will be a fix for when I move it out of the house. This one will probably be left at the main village or near if allowed. I'm also planning on getting some free pallets to pull apart and use the wood to finish the sides. I'll still leave a plastic liner or caulking to seal the inside to keep out the rain and potential bugs , also waterproofing all the wood to ensure long usage out of it. I will have a hole cut in the flooring which I still have to install in which the bucket will sit in with another above it taped or glued to the top to ensure no leg splatter. I'm going to also add in some extra supports and a piece of plywood to cover up the front of the **** shoot. Once finished this should be able to stand the elements for at least a couple of years before needing to be resealed or stained again.

My next plans are for a version that is all wood using 4x4's as posts instead of 2x3 and will be collapsible in some manner. Hopefully in 4x4' sections or smaller to fit in a small truck or trailer. But, I will only be paying for 4-4x4's, Sealant (wood and caulking) & screws or nails, and some handles/latches. I found everything else can be scavenged pretty easily by looking on Craigslist or going to some construction sites and getting scraps or pallets (From what I've seen most people give them away but you have to take them all type of deals).

BREAK DOWN
    1.) About $45. cost in materials purchased
    2.) Added about $15.-$20. in scavenged/re purposed materials (bits of 2x4 , plywood, handles, latch, tp rack)
    3.) Need to add canvas tarp for new siding $14.99 (harborfreigh.com)
    4.) Need to add sealant (or use all treated wood) (for longer life)
    5.) Substitute free pallet wood for canvas tarp for a more realistic look

So for $60. to $80. and some labor you could have a decently usable privy.​

Artenen Aeolus, Aurl Faurhind, Bili and 4 others Giveth praise for this remark!
  29. Ufnar Kargaroth

Good job mate! Ya when we get that setup, I want to frame the unit with palette wood, and modify the waste container area.

I want to put a hinged access on the back, and replace the bucket with a large storage tote that can be removed, cleaned, etc.

All in all, great job! Now to repeat it at least twice!

Artenen Aeolus and Kuba Ohmsford giveth praise for this remark!
  30. Ravellina Vaele

Ravellina Vaele Fairy Mage The Fated Guild Myths & Legends

If you need pallets we have some where I work.

Kuba Ohmsford Giveth praise for this remark!
  31. Frey Hallothon

Frey Hallothon Revenant of The Fated The Fated Guild Transferred Character Myths & Legends

Awesome job! Put the bucket over a hole and keep a bit of sawdust in the privy to throw in after you're finished and it's good to go. It looks great.

Kuba Ohmsford Giveth praise for this remark!
  32. Kuba Ohmsford

Kuba Ohmsford The Seekers The Fated Guild Transferred Character Myths & Legends

Over the next few weeks I plan on making more and improving on them if I can make the space.
    I won't have the truck and time to get them until the 17th or 18th or probably Wed., Thur., Fri. of the following week but, if they are still their then I'd take all I could get. If they are gone by then its no biggie.

33. Ufnar Kargaroth

I'll keep an eye on craigslist too. It's not uncommon to see ads for free lumber.

34. Ravellina Vaele

Ravellina Vaele Fairy Mage The Fated Guild Myths & Legends

I won't have the truck and time to get them until the 17th or 18th or probably Wed., Thur., Fri. of the following week but, if they are still their then I'd take all I could get. If they are gone by then its no biggie.[/QUOTE]

Let me know when you're ready and I'll let you know if they're still there.

35. Mordekai Fox

Mordekai Fox Human Rogue Meadowmere Colony Elder Transferred Character Unseen Hand Guild Myths & Legends

36. Torrin Blades

Torrin Blades Human Mercenary LarpCraft of St Louis Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Dragon Legion Guild

excellent job kuba

37. Grim Dragonhowl

Grim Dragonhowl For the glory of Hevis! Myths & Legends Dragon Legion Guild

looks amazing kuba!

38. Sully Little

Sully Little Speaker to the Spirits Myths & Legends

Sorry I've been relatively inactive, but the commode looks really great (as far as a toilet can). Great work! I think the colony could probably pay for one or two - I know I'd be pleased to see my funds go towards this.

39. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

Can I add this to the blog? Great job!!!

40. Ufnar Kargaroth

Goes without saying. We had funds set aside for just this reason ;)

Mordekai Fox Giveth praise for this remark!

Village Crier