1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Of Arms

Discussion in 'General Heraldry Chat' started by Serena Valentina, Feb 14, 2017.

?

Character Blurbs in Book?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Serena Valentina

Serena Valentina Sorceress (mage) Lore Master Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder

I've been asked what are some of the game plans that we want to do with heraldry. Obviously the main goal is to be able to tell different factions apart in game however I would like to put out annual Books of Arms featuring all the devices approved, an example would be like examples pictured below. It would be an epic way to track how much not only the amount of heraldry in the system is growing, but also the system over all and what has been used. We'd be able to sift through the pages to conflict check arms faster than going through the approved section of the forum, something that would help hopefully by the end of the year. Each entry would have some sort of ornamentation, name of the character and player, the blazon, and if the players want we could include short blurbs about the character who "owns" the device.

Elizabethan armorial, England, 1597 or later, 400 coats of arms -- Morgan Library MA -- Formerly identified as: Baron book.
    fa3e43c9c872b14395af7c4043bfb0d1.jpg
    Other examples pulled from our Media:
    15994930_10154844758197200_3731045221836904473_o.jpg sammelband mhrerer wappenbucher.jpg

2. Serena Valentina

Serena Valentina Sorceress (mage) Lore Master Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder

Example of what I"m talking about doing, though I would probably sort out by groups or alphabetically.

Book of Arms Example.jpg

Frey Toron Giveth praise for this remark!
  3. Serena Valentina

I have started to do some sketches of arms for the 2017 year Book of Arms to figure out ornamentations. So far I am looking at full ornamentation for kingdoms, groups doing banner ornamentation (see below) with an animal holding up their arms, Royalty having appropriate double animals, peers (barons, ect currently) bearing a single animal with appropriate headgear, and everyone else having a single animal bearing their arms on a shield.

That being said if anyone has a motto or lil character blurb included let me know. I'll make another thread to help bolster that if needed. If anyone wants to help that'd be amazing as well and will help this go faster. But once a person's or groups art is done then it's done till a change of station occurs!! Meaning less work for future volumes!

Artenen Aeolus , I know it's been months since we discussed this (It's been long enough that the memory of the conversation is now vague in my head) but do you want me to send it to you in a magazine format? Could be something that could help with site costs. (YAY fundraisers!) Otherwise I"m sure I can get it printed as well.

The sketches I did before I fell asleep last night, I'll do some more later and post them on the front page or in the media section:
    22782079_10214207565401890_1797072825_n.jpg 22811332_10214207564321863_1529978804_n.jpg

Wiktor Kostka, Rachel Skymoon, Ghastra Hornhaven and 1 other person Giveth praise for this remark!
  4. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile Lifetime Award

I like the whole book of arms with a short blurb of the deeds of the person or the background of the group by the device. Like "Arms of Ralik ravenwolf, Squire to Murdoch, Blessed by the wolf, Baron of Akuma, eater of meat smoker of ciggeretts, of a mighty odor after fighting, hammer or justice, petter of kittens etc etc"

Maliostro Cavaldi Giveth praise for this remark!
  5. Serena Valentina

Murdoch, "short" is the keyword here. Like for you maybe "Murdoch McArthur, King Norhaven first of his name." Or for Rallik "Rallik Ravenwolf, First Baron of Akuma and Squire to his Majesty" ect ect ect. I know there's not many arms out yet, but I do wanna plan for long run and not have a book 5 years from now where each person ends up with their own page, the printing cost on that would be insane.

6. Maliostro Cavaldi

Maliostro Cavaldi Human Bard -{LarpCraft of Superior Host}- LarpCraft Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder

I feel like without a short blurb on the heraldry holders, it basically just becomes a list of things that are already taken.

Neztus Der'Mon Giveth praise for this remark!
  7. Neztus Der'Mon

Neztus Der'Mon Warrior Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder

I accually like the idea of each crest getting its own page, more so if it belongs to a clan, guild, or kingdom. Where they can have thier motto and maybr a summery of what they stand for, when and/or why they were established, founding members, allies, enemies edit; this mainly applies to groups, people could each get like a paragraph?

Indir McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  8. Indir McArthur

Indir McArthur Half Elf, Ranger, Vesprtillio territory. Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Legendary Membership

So is Ralik getting the kittens thing or not?

9. Serena Valentina

Mal, it is something that will help with checking since there is a limit on similarities for the sake of the database. It's mostly a way for people to learn who is who, since oftentimes we don't get to see each others faces to learn names.

Nez, that's a great idea!

10. Gordrax Kargaroth

Gordrax Kargaroth Orc Barbarian Veradras Colony Chief Transferred Character Myths & Legends

Do Orcs have heraldry? I could make a “human skin” flag with bones hanging in a Blood Orc fashion... Blurb... “Kargaroth” mean “death of red”

11. Frey Toron

Frey Toron Ranger Past Contributor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers

I would think orcs have herldary, if the undead can. I can also think of the white hand of Saruman, and the different orc tribes. They all use something to seperate themselves into groups.

12. Serena Valentina

Besides checking for conflicts and updating blazons any real rules or laws for heraldry are all determined in game. So far everyone can have arms!

King Murdoch McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  13. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile Lifetime Award

yeah sure why not

Village Crier