1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boffers And Barbecue

Discussion in 'Events' started by LarpCraft of Superior, Apr 14, 2017.

1. LarpCraft of Superior

LarpCraft of Superior Myths & Legends Host Vault

Boffers and Barbecue

Boffers and Barbecue is a GO! LarpCraft Superior is kicking off their first event with this fun and casual affair to get us in the groove of things for summer! Come and gingerly touch tips with us as we whack each other with foam to work up a big appetite for pulled pork and ribs! Come for the fun and food, but stay for the TROLLBALL, in Iron Port's First Annual Trollball Championship!

Magnus Aedius and King Murdoch McArthur giveth praise for this remark!
  2. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile Lifetime Award

Troll ball? hos is this played? What are the rules. We will be making an earnest effort to bring people for the revelry and competition.

Maliostro Cavaldi Giveth praise for this remark!
  3. Maliostro Cavaldi

Maliostro Cavaldi Human Bard -{LarpCraft of Superior Host}- LarpCraft Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder 2017 Legendary Membership

Why I'm glad you asked, Your Majesty!

TROLLBALL is a boffer combat sporting competition similar to rugby or American football in that it is a skirmish event between two teams with the objective of moving the ball down the field into the other team's goal zone. Each team consists of five members (Though numbers may be adjusted depending on participants) with different functions and abilities. The game is played in two fifteen minute halves with a halftime interval of five minutes. Each team has two time-outs that last for an interval of two minutes that may be called between active plays.

The Teams
    Minimum team size for legal Iron Port League play is five members (though more members may be added to teams depending on numbers of participants). Each team is made up of players with different functions and jobs. These are as follows.
    • 3 Bruisers - Bruisers are the basic skirmishers of the Trollball team. They are armed with one (1) hand weapon and are eligible receivers for moving the trollball on the field.
    • 1 Juggler - Sometimes called Cheerleaders or Wizards, Jugglers are armed with three (3) spellballs, and may use them to either cast a HEAL Spell, or LIGHTNING BOLT! Spellballs may only be used by chanting an at least twenty (20) second invocation in the form of an inspirational cheer or jingle. The effect of the spellball must then be loudly declared by shouting "HEAL!" or "LIGHTNING BOLT!" as the spellball is thrown. The Heal effect cures a player of all damage. Lightning Bolt does a point of damage the same as a weapon hit. Jugglers are also eligible to carry the trollball. Jugglers may only trigger spell effects with their own spellballs, but they are allowed to retrieve them from the ground after they are spent.
    • 1 Crusher - The Crusher is the most powerful offensive player on the Trollball team. The Crusher is armed with two (2) hand weapons, and is TOUGH, giving them one extra hit point on each body location. However, the Crusher cannot carry the trollball, as they refuse to put down their awesome weapons.
    Game Play
    Game play in Trollball proceeds along the lines of skirmish combat. Players are armed with hand weapons or spellballs, and a successful hit results in loss of the contacted limb, or in the case of a torso hit, death. The loss of three limbs also results in death. Head hits or groin hits are not valid, and thus not scored. Using one's head to block weapon blows, while not only unintelligent, is considered bad sportsmanship and may result in a penalty. A player that has been "killed" is allowed a Last Gasp, where they expire noisily and dramatically and may attempt to pass off the trollball to a teammate.

The objective of Trollball is to move the trollball down the field into the opposing teams territory and get the head of the trollball into the basket. The trollball may be moved down the field by hand offs or passing, but it may not be kicked.

Play begins with a Coin Flip, and the team that wins the coin flip may decide if they wish to launch or receive. The trollball is then launched by the Referee and the team in possession of the trollball attempts to move the ball down the field to place in the other teams goal.

Combat, Damage, and Healing
    Trollball uses the basic Myths and Legends systems for combat and scoring damage. Each limb and the torso of each player can take one (1) hit. The exception to this is the Crusher, who can take two (2) points of damage to each hit location. Loss of three limbs, or a hit to the torso, results in "DEATH" and the player must immediately make a dramatic display as they expire. A "dying" player is allowed a Last Gasp where they may attempt to pass the trollball to a teammate or hurl discouraging words at their opponents. A dead or wounded player is immediately cured of all injuries by the use of a Heal effect spellball.

Hand weapons may not be thrown.

If a valid hit is scored on a player's arm that is carrying an object, they must drop that object, whether it is a hand weapon, spellball or the trollball.

In the event that the Juggler is killed, there is no one remaining on the team that may heal them. In that case, the Juggler is immediately exiled to the sidelines. They may not stop to gather spent spellballs but must move immediately to the sidelines. Once on the sidelines, the Juggler must enlist the help of the crowd to heal themselves. This may be in getting the crowd to cheer loudly, or clap for them like Tinkerbell, or getting the spectators to boo them and throw refuse. Whatever the case, the Juggler must perform this action for at least a minute, at which point the Referee will reinstate the Juggler. If the Referee is unsatisfied with the Juggler's spirit or the reaction of the crowd, the Referee may instate a longer stay for the Juggler in the Exile Box.

The Trollball and Scoring
    The object used for scoring in Trollball is the trollball. The trollball is a small, wrinkly, trollkin creature or likely effigy thereof. The trollball consists of a Head, Torso, two (2) Arms, and two (2) Legs. There may or may not be a tail. Each of these components is attached to the torso with a strip of velcro. The objective of Trollball is to get the head of the trollball into the opposing teams goal bucket. While the head is the necessary component for scoring, the general state of wholeness of the trollball determines the score. The Head alone is worth One (1) Point. Head and Torso, Two (2) Points. Each limb attached is worth an additional point, up to a total of Six (6) Points.

After a goal is scored, the trollball is reassembled, and the team that was just scored upon becomes the receiver. The trollball is launched again and play continues in this fashion until time runs out.

The team with the highest score at the end of the game is the winner. In the case of a tie, the game moves into Sudden Death Overtime, in which there is NO HEALING. Another coin toss is held, and the team to score first wins. If all members of both teams die and no goal is scored, then the game is declared a draw.

Grath Dragous, Drift Wood, Murka One-Eye and 1 other person Giveth praise for this remark!
  4. Neztus Der'Mon

Neztus Der'Mon Warrior Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile

This sounds like a great event, hope it works out that i can make it!

King Murdoch McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  5. Shaden Chaser

Shaden Chaser LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Top Contributor Myths & Legends Mythical | Legendary | Epic Member 2017 Waivers Elder

Maliostro Cavaldi
    Superior/Duluth is quite a drive.
    Know of any good places to go for those who wish to stay the night?

King Murdoch McArthur, Neztus Der'Mon and Artenen Aeolus Giveth praise for this remark!
  6. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile Lifetime Award

Sounds a great deal like blood of hero's. i have not played in a long time.

I have a couple of rewards discount card things for like Days in and Comfort in and that chain, we may also need a crash spot

7. Elerindalia Raeloren

Elerindalia Raeloren Elf Merchant Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Epic Profile

read this to the family and the 19 yr old cant stop laughing

Grath Dragous, Maliostro Cavaldi and King Murdoch McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  8. Neztus Der'Mon

Yeah, would deffinitly need a room for the night if i were to come, would likely have a plus 1 and our new born

King Murdoch McArthur Giveth praise for this remark!
  9. Maliostro Cavaldi

Maliostro Cavaldi Human Bard -{LarpCraft of Superior Host}- LarpCraft Host Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder 2017 Legendary Membership

Blood of Heroes??? You mean the highly underrated Rutger Hauer post apocalyptic sci-fi ensemble sports underdog movie???? Holy Carp! I thought me and my friends were the only ones who tried to play that game! That was like a Rocky movie for Mad Max geeks. I'm pretty sure I owned that one on VHS.

As far as hotel accommodations, right on the other side of the neighborhood is a Signature Inn, which is nothing fancy but it is reasonably priced and the rooms are spacious and clean and quiet. Also, just over the Bong Bridge in West Duluth there's a Comfort Inn and a Super 8, both of which are no more than a ten minute drive from Billings Park. Between the three, you're looking at a night's stay running you from $70-$100 dollars without discounts or deals. There's cheaper options too not far from the park, but they are a little more questionable.

King Murdoch McArthur and Neztus Der'Mon giveth praise for this remark!
  10. King Murdoch McArthur

Yes that is the one... "Arent we the same age" "we used to be", "The quick needs a friend", "no one carries the dog boy!!" Great lines!!

Super 8 sounds good so does comfort.

11. Indir McArthur

Indir McArthur Half Elf, Ranger, Vesprtillio territory. Natus Gryphe Myths & Legends 2017 Legendary Membership

oh good grief now dad's gonna go on and on about rtuger Hower again

Elerindalia Raeloren and Maliostro Cavaldi giveth praise for this remark!
  12. Elerindalia Raeloren

13. Yiva Whiteraven

Yiva Whiteraven Cleric Myths & Legends Epic Profile 2017 Legendary Membership

If you don't mind Carl's stalking and belting out renditions of Major Tom all night? You guys might be into that?

Nemia O'Dyna Giveth praise for this remark!
  14. Neztus Der'Mon

Things are looking good, may even have the wife and new born along for this journey!

15. Yiva Whiteraven

Yiva Whiteraven Cleric Myths & Legends Epic Profile 2017 Legendary Membership

Do they come in extra small? *S*

16. Elerindalia Raeloren

I so would love to go but alas we are starting to save for World in september

17. King Murdoch McArthur

Maybe we could all find a way to car pool?

18. Maliostro Cavaldi

My dear Yiva would very much love for you to come up. I understand it is a very long ride. However, ride sharing might be an option, and room sharing at some of the local inns could make things very affordable.

At this point, between local voices of interest, and those in Norhaven, there could be 20-25 people attending. I'm going to try to get some fliers spread around this weekend, so that might go up.

It also happens that I scheduled Boffers and Barbecue on the same weekend as the Twin Ports local gaming convention, Berserkon. While that's unfortunate timing on my part, I'm going to try and turn this into a positive. Who knows, maybe we can get some spill over and get some advertising out of it.

Neztus Der'Mon Giveth praise for this remark!
  19. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends Mythical | Legendary | Epic Member 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

I know keldor and I talked about going this morning while at the gym.

20. Maliostro Cavaldi

That would be amazing if you guys could make it. I realize it is a long drive, but that's why we're the hinterlands.

Maybe my sunburn will be gone by then.

21. LarpCraft of Superior

LarpCraft of Superior Myths & Legends Host Vault

Boffers & Barbecue went down in Billings Park this last Sunday (May 21st), and honestly we couldn't have asked for worse weather. :p The Trollball field was a grassy marsh, and even inside the pavilion it was rather damp. The rain was mostly a fine mist that got everywhere, and the temperatures hovered around 40 degrees most of the day. As a result, attendance was low, a mere fraction of expectations, and most of the activities planned had to be called due to rain. The rain made barbecuing before the event difficult too.

But we were undeterred! We had a few electrical appliances and a few cans of sterno to keep the food warm through serving. And though the surroundings were damp and grey, and much conversation was made about being able to see our breaths in the May afternoon, those present had high spirits and enthusiasm. There was plenty of food, and after we filled our bellies, we moved a few tables aside to enjoy battle practice. Trollball will have to wait, but it's definitely going to happen sooner or later!

We in the LC Superior crew would like to thank everybody that attended, everyone that wished to attend but couldn't, and those that gave us encouragement. The beginning of the day was disheartening but by the end it was a fun afternoon huddling under the grey skies and just enjoying company. It had all the bumps and warts of a first event, but it was good learning experience. We now have a little better idea for organization, presentation, venues and advertisement going forward. We understand some of those travelling to the event had difficulties on the road. We regret their absence but are glad everyone is safe. Overall, we had about seven in attendance, and a couple of interested parties came by to ask questions while we were breaking down and cleaning up.

Going forward, we would like Boffers & Barbecue to become a yearly signature event for LarpCraft Superior. Not just something for recognition and recruitment, but also to build community; to be something where LARPers and Muggles, enthusiasts and casuals, friends and families can get together and have a fun afternoon. Going forward we will be having smaller regular events, mostly crafting, LARPing workshops, and practices. And we shall persist in persisting!

King Murdoch McArthur and Frey Toron giveth praise for this remark!
  22. King Murdoch McArthur

we wish we could have geive you more support and help with your endeavor. Fate...and metal road debris had other plans.

I am glad you are not disheartened and that you had as good a time as circumstances allowed. I wish it had all gone as planned but that often does not happen. You have friends in your neighbor groups and we will contiune to support you, even when it is in spirit...stranded on the side of the highway....in the middle of nowhere....with a shredded tire. :(

Tags:

Village Crier