1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archery Skills

Discussion in 'Chapter 13.2 Combat Specialization' started by Jonas Vega, May 1, 2018.

1. Jonas Vega

Jonas Vega hello Transferred Character Myths & Legends

I feel like there used to be special archery attacks skills like a piercing shot. I'm I just not seeing them or where they removed?

2. Wiktor Kostka

Wiktor Kostka Retired Warrior Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Epic Profile

Has the skills changed? I can't find "Piercing Arrow / Bolt " on the list either.

3. Artenen Aeolus

Artenen Aeolus Paladin | Captain of the Magna Navis Lore Master LarpCraft Host '17 Donor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Blogger Elder Host Vault House of the Iron Ring Lifetime Award Mapped

I don't see it either. I know that stuff was crazy hard to keep track of in 10+ person battles. Made large game stuff impossible.

All of these weapon abilities are dumb in my opinion. This stuff should just be common use items. If you see a bow, shoot the bow, pick up the swords etc. This stuff doesn't need special skills it's just added complexity that takes away from the game.

4. King Murdoch McArthur

King Murdoch McArthur LarpCraft of Milwaukee Host, chevalier paladin Lore Master Natus Gryphe LarpCraft Host Transferred Character Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Epic Profile Lifetime Award

Thought we ditched it and went with the "practice and get better at hitting people" model on many of those skills ...like shank.

5. Wiktor Kostka

Wiktor Kostka Retired Warrior Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Epic Profile

I prefer the "practice and get better", but what was ditched and what do I do about the skills I have that were ditched?
    Pretty much I chose skills based on what I know and have done outside of larp and what I thought would cover all the "what do you mean I don't know how to use the stick in my hand" issues.

6. Dynus Keria

Dynus Keria Larpcraft of Hastings Host - Human Ranger LarpCraft Host Past Contributor Myths & Legends 2017 Waivers Elder Lifetime Award

And once you're good enough you can shoot bolts out of your targets crossbow as their loading. Very effective for stunning/ confusing opponents.

7. Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye Wood Elf Bounty Hunter of Illudia Myths & Legends

Personally (albeit a bit bias due to me favoring a bow) I feel Piercing Shot was healthy for the game, from a balance standpoint. The only thing Archery has over a sword is range, melee weapons are much quicker, even polearms, and do the same amount of damage, can also damage shields (cleave).

Thrown weapons are must faster at a medium range, with a good arm it can rival that of a bow, faster to "reload" as you just grab another and throw it faster than most archers can nock another arrow to loose.

TLDR: Bows have nothing special about them other than being a ranged projectile, thrown weapons rival their effectiveness with practice. Piercing shot was a healthy addition giving archers the opportunity to take out a heavily armored opponent from range.

Ps: Perhaps an ability to have a "bodkin arrow" or a weighted arrow that would do a cleave point of damage? Just something to give bows a bit of flavor.

Village Crier